MJ & Amaya's Adventures!!

MJ & Amaya's Adventures!!

Monday, July 23, 2007

The Birth Story (from my perspective)

Mario Anthony Reyes, Jr. was born on July 1, 2007 at 5:51pm weighing in at 6lbs 7.4 ounces, 18.5 inches! It was a very eventful birth (I am sure all moms think so).

The Birth Story:

Around 5:30 that morning, I awoke with an unfamiliar (really it wasn't all that unfamiliar, it was felt like gas) feeling. I called my mom because I knew she would be up and of course she was. I described how I felt and she said (as she had been saying for a long time), "that baby is on his way!" Well I am here to tell you....listen to your mother because she is usually right (I say that now with much more confidence and authority because I have now joined the ranks of motherhoodom! (yes I know I made up a word but when you are a mother, you can do that).

I recalled that my hypnobabies course instructor, Ludia Sarmast (we can talk about Hypnobabies a little later), said to try and sleep off the first few hours of labor. SO I laid it back down. Around 9 am I finally woke up for good. My "contractions" or pressure waves (as I was taught to call them in hypnobabies) felt like menstrual cramps so I figured, this isn't that bad. I decided to follow another piece of advice....to walk. I got Mario (better known to his family as Anthony) up (although he only had 2 hours of sleep-he was up late watching TV-so he says)) and we walked for 45 minutes. The pressure waves didn't stop so I knew that my little one would be joining us soon.

In the meantime, I decided to take a hot bath, wash/blow dry/curl my hair (I knew there would be after-birth pictures!) and to eat some Popeye's! Yes I ate Chicken and no for the Dave Chappelle viewers, there was NOT a little pixie on my shoulder--I ate the chicken of my own volition! Anyway, Mario brought me the wrong chicken initially. I was so upset. I had such a taste to that dark meat spicy...well my hubby said there was no way he was letting down a pregnant women in labor so he went back to Popeye's and got me the chicken I wanted. After dissecting that meal, the pains got "longer. stronger and closer" so we called the doc and headed to the hospital. Things got intense on the way there and I bout cussed Mario out for driving too slow (mind you I begged him initially not to speed because the bumps hurt!). Well by the time we got there, I was 9 cm so I was informed that I was doing it natural!

Now, I had planned to do it natural (but in the back of my mind thought all along that I would break down and get the epidural). Well folks, I didn't have a choice and so I'll just say THINGS GOT ROUGH for about 45 minutes and then I was holding my bundle of joy. :-)

7 comments:

  1. What an ingenious. idea! I find myself smiling and knodding my head as I read your blog and reminense on the birth of my two boys! It is a beautiful thing. I too had a natural delivery with bryson...so I know exactly what you went through.Your son seems. Like he has been here for months...he is ready for the world!!! Anyway, welcome to”mommyhoodum”!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU TWO! LITTLE MARIO IS SO ADORABLE. I AM GLAD YOU CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA...
    GIVE THE MARIOS A KISS FOR ME AND I WILL SEE YOU SOON!
    LOVE U!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ur story! Girl u sound like me the night I went into labor. One question, How did u have the strength to wash and blow dry ur hair? That was the last thing on my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWW Sharese! I'm so happy for you! I can imagine you fussing Mario out about the chicken and then the bumps! Hilarious! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your special story! I laughed all the way through. I love that Mario went back to Popeye's. Let us however, never even give credit to the Pixie theory by ever mentioning it. LOL!
    I love that you curled your hair while having contractions. I would've dropped that sucker right on my face and there would be only after birth pix of baby! LOL! I can't wait to come and visit with you all and Jr. very soon. Always, always in my prayers. Love you three!

    Auntie P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats once again to the Proud Parents! This blog is great I can't believe you did all that before going to the hospital. When momma saw the pictures she said you looked like you had just gotten your hair done I said you might have, wait til she read this...My hat is off to you, NATURAL girl your good........How many more???? Hey Mario better luck next time!!! Lil Sam I mean Lil Mario lookin just like his Grand Daddy!!! Unbelievable!!!! Hugs and Kisses Lil Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to both of you; Mario and Michelle. Your birth story was very interesting. I can't i.d like the others, however, I laughed when you stated you prepared your hair before you gave birth. I also laughed my butt off when you said you cussed Mario out for driving slow. MJ sure is worth it all.

    ReplyDelete