MJ & Amaya's Adventures!!

MJ & Amaya's Adventures!!

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Family Reunions, Hospital visits and tantrums

No its not a new play (or movie) by Tyler Perry it's a quick update about what we've been going through since MJ turned 1! You guys know that I NEVER let the blog go un-updated for so long. I apologize. Things have been VERY VERY hectic for us lately and me in particular. Again, I am sorry. Also, I am working on Thank You cards for all the gifts that MJ received for his birthday. PLEASE do not think for a minute that we do not appreciate your many kind gestures (and please do not think for a minute that MJ has not been having a blast playing with all your toys!). You guys know I am usually on top of all of these things but its getting harder and harder these days to stay on top of those things so please accept my apologies! :-)

OK without further to do, here is the update:

First Trip to the ER:

MJ had his first trip to the ER! I know, I know, it scared the mess out of me too. He took a really bad fall and I didn't like the way his forehead looked so I took him to Holy Cross ER after consulting with his Pediatrician. He scared me about half dead on the drive over. He fell asleep in the car and I could not get him to wake up! Shonda probably heard the terror in my voice I tried to mask but I can tell you, when your children are hurting or sick, you feel it three times worse than them. I just kept praying and thinking, if somebody had to be sick or hurt, why couldn't it be me!!! Mind you when we first got there, I had my head down, on the verge of tears preparing my statement for when the doctors or social worker asked about the fall, or the scar on his forehead or the burn on his leg. I just knew that telling them that my son is a busy 1 year old who is curious wouldn't get the job done so I planned instead to cry my way out of it. While I was working on my "story" MJ was busy flirting with a little girl in the waiting room and all the nurses! When the doctors came over to see him, he kind of laughed at me a little and said, "Mrs. Reyes, you did the right thing by bringing him in and if he is half as busy as my boys, you will probably find yourself in an ER a few more times!". But what really took the cake was when they took an X-ray and it required three adults to hold this boy down! A Dios Mio!! He looked at me like, MA how could you let them do this to me. I cried. He cried. He cried. I cried. (my poor baby). As it turned out, he had a mild concussion and a contusion. BUT none of that stopped him from flirting with ALL the nurses!

(look close, you can see the bump in the middle of his forehead -in addition to the scar that was just healing)

Family Reunion:

MJ finally met some of his Wilson cousins. My mother's side of the family had our annual reunion in Sandusky, Ohio. I know, I know, doesn't sound very thrilling but surprisingly the resort was really nice and it had an indoor water park connected. We had a great time. My mom drove down to MD, me mommy and MJ drove to Ohio. It was some good bonding time. I loved spending time with Ginger and I love watching her spend time with MJ. I hope this little boy realizes how much his grandparents love him!! Both grandmas go out of their way to spoil him. I love that about my moms!!! Here are some pics.

MJ and his daddy. Daddy was not feeling well this morning!

MJ streaking! Auntie Shonda and Tio Kareem got a surprise! LOL. Please tell me why I had to chase him around to get a diaper on him. This little boy LOVES to be naked! Maybe the fresh air feels good, that or he found his special place and likes to show it some love all the time!


Titi Shonda! Don't she look good ya'll!!! :-) FYI - Titi Shonda just made a career change as of last week she is Mrs. Maddison - teacher to a classrom of 5 year olds!!! I am so proud of her for stepping out on faith and following her passion. I hope to be so brave some day! :-)


Mommy having a good time!

FINALLY:

Since MJ has turned 1 and mastered walking, he has been terrorizing our house, his daycare provider and everyone else. He has made tantrums his way of communicating his frustrations. I refuse to raise one of "those" kids. You know the ones I am talking about: you see them in the grocery store or department store or toy store on the floor flailing their limbs because a request was denied. All the parenting magazines talk about ignoring them or giving them their moment to vent. Well, I borrowed a page from the Virginia Wilson Pryor parenting handbook (one which has been pre-printed and duplicated in the handbook of most black mothers!!), I whooped his little A$$ and those tantrums are starting to subside. If this is how he acts at 1, can you imagine what his terrible 2's will be like!!!!! God help us!
(MJ these days sleeping in our bed - when he can convince one of us to let him. Please notice the direction he is sleeping. He starts out vertical, changes to horizontal, does a few flips and rotations and ends up like this!)



MJ playing with the Winnie the Pooh Ride on Toy that Titi Malika got for him. He loves this toy!!!! Most days he either suckers me or Mario into taking him for a stroll around the neighborhood. He waves to the neighbors and otherwise sits back relaxing. Its good QT for us so I enjoy the walks as well.

1 comment:

  1. I just checked the blog and saw the toy on there. I am so glad that he likes. I thought it looked cool. Good thing is that when you don't want to push him around, it turns into a rocker. How fun! Love ya....

    ReplyDelete