MJ & Amaya's Adventures!!

MJ & Amaya's Adventures!!

Monday, October 6, 2008

Different goals!

So MJ just came from the doctor for his 15 month appointment. As it turns out, he has a sinus infection, allergies and is too skinny! The ONE appointment that I don't go to and he comes home with two prescriptions and a new diet! So MJ still weighs only 21lbs (I think Jaylyn even weighs more than him now) so his doctor was very concerned about his weight (he weighed 21 lbs at his 12 month appointment). But he had that three week spell of diarrhea and with 4 new teeth coming in (one broke the skin last week) he doesn't have much of an appetite. So the goal now, feed him as much ice cream as possible. Seriously, he LOVES ice cream so Doc Edmunds said to make him fruit smoothies and add ice cream. How I ended up in a house/family with people who need to GAIN weight while I am battling to lose some escapes me! :-) My poor, skinny boo-boo.

1 comment:

  1. OK, so I feel your pain. HOWEVER, and I know this is counterintuitive when you are told your child is low weight, but don't go overboard on the icecream LOL!! We had the same thing happen with Ethann right before his 12 month appt. He ddin't gain anyweight for ~2 months. MD told us to feed him anything fattening. I didn't think starting down the road of unhealthy eating habits was the way to go though. So eat all the McDonald's he wants was not what I needed to hear.

    So we chose to increase fat the healthy way. If he likes bread, add some butter to it. When you cook vegetables, add some olive oil (or go old school and do some butter again). If he'll eat yogurt get the full fat yogurt (I think Yo Baby makes a full fat kind). Try and get him to eat those string cheese as a snack or something. If you're like me, I didn't want to exchange his increased weight with an issue of trying to force feed a child vegetables down the road.

    He's still a skinny child (he hovers between the 5-8% on the growth chart) but he's meeting/exceeding all his developmental milestones so if MJ is the same way, don't worry s much about the weight :)

    Reecy

    ReplyDelete