MJ & Amaya's Adventures!!

MJ & Amaya's Adventures!!

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

In the bed or out the bed, that is the question



OK, so I have a question for all the parents out there: Did your children sleep in the bed with you? If so, for how long? As you all probably know, we have been co-sleeping with MJ since his first day home. Anthony was always opposed to it but went along with it because he was in love with his son and he knew it was easier for me to sleep and nurse. However, 6 months have passed (yes MJ celebrated his half-year birthday on January 1) and his Dad wants him out the bed. To be honest, I thought WWIII was going to erupt last night when MJ's Dad (notice how I am not calling him MY HUSBAND) decided that it was time for MJ to sleep in his crib AND IN HIS OWN ROOM. I bought had a heart attack when Anthony gathered the baby from my arms. I seriously was ready to throw down and fight (that LI in me). But they were gone upstairs before I could react. I stomped upstairs and "informed" Anthony that MY SON (you know how territorial mommies can be) was not sleeping in a separate room. I fell into lawyer mode and constructed my argument carefully. When Anthony agreed to sleep in the room with him for HOW EVER LONG necessary (possibly 6 months) most of my arguments were deflated. So off went my first born and HIS DAD in to a separate room. I actually cried! (sidenote-Being a mommy has made me such a mushy chic. I actually cried.) Mind you, even though Anthony was in the room with him, every time he cried or fussed, I jumped up and ran in. I went in a few times with no prompt because I just missed him and wanted to check to see if he missed me. How crazy! I am so so attached to this little person who doesn't even speak. His smile and laughs speak volumes though about a baby who is happy, content and knows he is loved. I want to always keep it that way so when Anthony brought me my baby at 3:30am (after having slept on the floor for hours), I gladly accepted him back into our bed, kissed him, nursed him and played with him until 6:45 when he finally went back to sleep! Aww, it is so true when they say, you don't know true love until you have a child.

4 comments:

  1. Don't you worry ma. I had both Erik and Alex co-sleeping until they were a year old. I like you found it easier to breast feed, and just loved having the closeness of my baby. You know when the time is right to have them sleep alone. It's hard, but you end up loving it. Time alone with the hubby is great. -hint hint- Much love ma!!! Miss ya'll and Feliz Ano Nuevo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been trying to get Amber to sleep in her crib for the past two weeks and so far so good but...I have been sleeping on an inflatable air mattress in her room. The things we do for our kids!! I try to give her last bottle at 11:00PM and get her to fall asleep around 12:00AM and put her in the crib. Sometimes its not until 1:00AM that she falls asleep. Then she usually sleeps thru the night but sometimes I have to get up and give her the pacifier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say whatever gets you your sleep!! Ethann is in his own crib but he doesn't sleep through the night so if I need some zzzzs then in the bed he comes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful thing to be so in love with our children like that. They do indeed bring out the soft side of us.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete